Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It Takes a Man to Change the World

Hmm, does it seem that way, or the mass media here—be it electronic or printed—print a very bleak picture of the occurrences back in motherland? Somehow, the problems in Malaysia appear to be more pronounced here than when I was back there reading the news. We have corrupt ministers who are pardoned for building his house illegally, then we have the issue of the Sultan of Johore denigrading the Westerners as dirty and his vehemence to bring down the Causeway (God knows how I'm to return to Malaysia if that happens), the continued barbed remarks by the former Premier, the formal denunciation of Manglish, and many more.

Well, perhaps I'm here and they're there, and the other perspective always seem to be more prejudiced, however slightly. I've read about Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew hailed as an "Asian hero" who modernized Singapore (curious, where is Tun Mahathir here?) in the Time magazine, good progress in technological and scientific research, a lot of efforts in community projects brought about by their governors and MPs, and a myriad other things that do not concern Malaysia. Yes, the media have not much concern about anything in their neighbors (save when war is imminent or when some form of threat appears), but I am concerned, nonetheless.

Paranoid I may be, but my concerns lie not on the grandness of the Minister Mentor or the progress of Singapore. They lie more in my understanding of what I have always think of my beloved country, of which I've grown up in and of which I've had many fond memories of. Malaysia, in its simplest form, is a country beautiful because of her capability in moulding different races and religions together to form a uniquely wonderful blend of aesthetic pride. I am under no illusions that we have constantly warred with the inequities we feel through some of the more draconian policies our Government has managed to draw out, but still, I love my country. Still, differences aside, we Malaysians still share an abundance of similarities and understanding.

I've always consider people, regardless of creed and color, have what the scientific community would call the "common sense", more so for those that govern the nation. Sadly, I'm in for the worst shock—an example of which turns out to be officials being let off the hook because many others have done the same thing. How wonderfully generous our governors can be, for they are of the perception that because others have done the same thing, it is not a gangrene that will spread further if it made an appearance in the media. So, people, it is advisable next time that you all build your houses without approval; well, the law cannot harm you because "others have done the same thing". We should also ignore police and officers who take bribe, because "others have done so". We should not queue up when taking a bus ride, because "others have done so". We must not care what happens in our neighbor's house, because "others have done so".

This is one of the most ridiculous reasons that I've seen given by the Menteri Besar of Selangor (never mind that he works near where I live). Has he not the slightest idea of what his words mean and their impacts on the country? One person did a heinous wrong, and he's pardoned on the excuse that many others had done the same thing? Perhaps if it concerns a normal citizen, the affair might have turn in law's favor, but because the perpetrator is a politician, he's spared the agony? Where is the justice in this? If we know that many others did the same wrong, whatever happened to the enforcement of law on these offenders?

For the betterment of the future of Malaysia, I'd have sacked him if I had the power—never mind that it was a slip of the tongue or not. Or maybe suspend him from duty for a period of time (something like a year or so, if it was left to me to decide). And we'll herd in the black sheep after that.

Understand this, it takes an army to conquer a nation, my fellow friends (and politicians); but it takes just one man to change the world. And if it was me, I'll become the latter, either for the sake of improving Malaysia's ailing popularity, or for the sake of upholding justice as it should have been.

P/S: Somehow, this post got lost somewhere in transition, and remained as a draft instead. This is a little bit outdated, but oh well, since I've already done it, let's don't waste the effort. =)


PhoenixFire

2 comments:

Denster said...

Sounds like the prologue to P for Pendetta! :D Modified to suit local pinion tastes! :)

*look around in case a mysterious figure appears with knives*

Anonymous said...

Never did watch that movie, but oh well, Pendetta it is then!